Tuesday 14 December 2010

"Amazing" Grace History.

Grace & Richard History
Grace History, also known as "The First Lady of A-Z of Good" & "The First Lady", has kindly volunteered her services to Diego and myself - adding a much needed feminine touch to the A-Z's musical direction (more information on which can be found at the bottom of this page). Pictured here with her husband, the current UK base jumping coach Richard History, Grace's record collection is understandably vast, and features artists as diverse as Benny De Weille, Beck, Buddy Holly, Billie Holiday, Belle and Sebastian, Blind Willie Johnson, Blur, Bon Iver, Brian Eno, Broken Social Scene and The Byrds.

Grace has experienced nearly an entire century's worth of musical evolution.

She lists '1959' as her favourite year because of the remarkable jazz albums released, and lists 'The National' as the "best band in the world on current form".

As for her musical 'dislikes', she's careful not to needlessly offend anyone, but says of M People: "I don't like that guy with the silly hair and comedy voice".

I challenged Grace to a game of boules as we discussed her involvement with the project, without realising that she was a 3-time Intercontinental champion in the 1980's.

I won comfortably, 21-5 and 21-10, respectively.

Having battled alcoholism in the 1960's Grace has 'not had a drink in 40 years', although I'm sure she was tiddly when we last met, at a wine tasting evening she had organised.

"You used to drink to excess?", I asked.

"I'd drink to anything", she replied, "At least I think I did - three things happen when you get to my age. First your memory starts to go, and I've forgotten about the other one".

No comments:

Post a Comment