Monday 2 August 2010

This is literally "a post".

****************************************************************************************

"Literally".


This is probably paranoia on my behalf, but I notice lately that everyone keeps saying the word "literally".

Maybe this has always occurred, and I'm only cottoning on to it now, but it's literally said by literally everyone.


Literally, all the time.


It must be one of those things that I've become acutely aware of, and am therefore overly sensitive towards, but every time I hear the word I literally can't help but get annoyed.


It's overused. Simple.


When you listen to someone recount a story these days, why does it always have to include the word "literally" a dozen times?


"He got so mad, he literally exploded".

Did he? Did he actually explode?


"And then Hell was literally unleashed".

What? Really, now.


Even when used correctly, it's often unnecessary.

"I was so tired, I literally could not stay awake".




What's going on?

Where has this suddenly come from?




I literally have no idea.


****************************************************************************************

3 comments:

  1. I like the word "outstanding" and use it as much as possible at work:

    "... the outstanding analysis ..." - Fantastic? Late? Fantastic and late?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/8/10 23:16

    Basically, you're right.

    ReplyDelete